Shigefusa 270mm kasumi yanagiba with custom, by me, desert ironwood handle

27 Dec 2010

FOR SALE - Oohira renge / lotus suita 205*75*40mm #20-30000 - from Iida Tools in Japan!

I have been looking for a good quality Oohira renge suita for quite some time now. These stones are really hard to come by in good size and of good quality. Suddenly my main contact in Japan for high grade stones and knives, Mr. Tomohito Iida at Iida Tools informs me that he has three excellent Oohira renge suita in stock for sale.

The cost of the stones are 37,350 Yen per piece plus shipping from JP about 2,500 Yen. If you'd like to own one of these beauties, and you should!, please contact Mr. Tomohito Iida at info@japantool-iida.com. His level of service is unsurpassed and he communicates very well in English.

It's just my luck that these three beauties are available just after Christmas when my credit cards are all screaming for mercy. However, this might be somebody elses very lucky day. Not beeing able to get one of these beauties just really breaks my heart :o/

They are all about the same size 205*75*40mm give or take a few mm and they are all beautifully full of renge throughout the stone. Usually this kind of suita tends to be pretty soft. These suita, however, are a little bit harder than the usual renge suita from the Oohira mine, making them excellent finishers for both knives, planes and chisels. I think they will even make excellent pre-polishers for most razors, but no guarantees here as I have no experience on razors (yet).

All stones coming from the shelves of Iida Tools are thoroughly tested for quality. He has informed me that none of the lines in the stones affect sharpening and that the stones leave a very fine mist and haze typical of top quality suita stones. I have bought my large Aoto and my Oohira Asagi stone from him, and they both perform exceptionally well.

If you are in the market for an Oohira suita, these are some of the very best avilable in the open market today and at a very reasonable price. Combined with the service level of Mr. Iida, you just can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment