Shigefusa 270mm kasumi yanagiba with custom, by me, desert ironwood handle

19 Dec 2011

Petty and Victorinox rehandle

This is what I have been working on lately. My friend Øivind had a couple of knives he wanted me to rehandle and I needed at couple of "easy" projects to keep me going. I have a couple of ongoing project that really challenge my skills. One of them is the Hiromoto sujihiki rehandle and saya in a previous post. The other is a Keijiro Doi Shiro Kengata Hayate that will get a new handle, a matching saya and a matching pair of moribashi, but more on that in a later post.

Now, on to the rehandle projects.

I have done a "pimp my Vic" for Øivind before, and the petty was a very nice little damascus blade with a western full tang handle that he wanted me to makeinto a hidden tang with a little more palm swell to fit Øivinds largeish hands.

I didn't actually make WIP of these knives as I kind of lost the "spark" after the mess over at KKF. It just tore me apart. Hope to be back with more elaborate posts after this one.

Anyways here is a couple of pictures of the finished knives. Sorry for the crappy shots, but the lighting was not the best and the blitz on the camera really does more harm than good in this kind og photography so I had to manage without it. I hope that Øivind is pleased with his knives.

The petty got a handle from stabilized Redwood burl from Burl Source. Thanks again Mark for excellent stuff. The saya is also from redwood burl but unstabilized. The handle spacer and end cap as well as the saya pin is from Musk ox forhead. Hey, it's Christmas! :o)






The handle on the Victorinox is from a two tone brown dyed maple burl from Burl Source also. Mark, you just blow me away with all that spectacular wood. Three 1,5mm pins from nickel silver and a file worked spine on the tang. Handle is glued up with black epoxy to better show off the file work.



Thanks for looking.

Harald.

6 comments:

  1. You are amazing my friend!
    Im finding more knives for you to rehandle, hope you don't get to much backorders so you can't handle mine :P

    Damn, you are good

    ReplyDelete
  2. VEry nice work Harald! We miss you at KKF.

    Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's time for me looking for a western knife and ship it out to you Harald !!! great job as always.....

    Rio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments.

    Øivind, I am very happy that you like my work. You keep me busy :oD

    Pierre, I miss you guys too, but I am still in the process of settling my mind on this. First I need to get that good ol' "spark" back and do some work and blogs. I have been watching the development (NONE!) in the craftsman place at KKF and I really don't feel like going there. Looks like an abandoned neighbourhood to me. One dude making something of very little resemblance to a kitchen knife. The vendor part is waaay to pricy for my volume of production. KKF suddenly just don't fit my needs any more, I am sad to say.

    Rio, I would really love to make you a western handle too :o) I hope to get the rest of your projects finished before New Years, so they will be ready for shipping first thing 2012.

    A very Merry Christmas to you all, and my best wishes for a very prosperous and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harald, Can you help me rehandle my knife?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I'll be happy to rehandle your knife. Send me an e-mail at darkhoek@gmail.com and tell me what kind of handle you are looking for and for what kind of knife, and I'll give you some options.

    Harald.

    ReplyDelete